The National Museums of Kenya (NMK) is a state corporation established by an Act of Parliament, the National Museums and Heritage Act, 2006 no. 6 of 2006. It is a multi-disciplinary institution whose role is to collect, preserve, study, document and present Kenya’s past and present cultural and natural heritage. This is for the purposes of enhancing knowledge, appreciation, respect and sustainable utilization of these resources for the benefit of Kenya and the world, for now and posterity.
It is in line with the need to realize the above mandate that NMK management is seeking to recruit suitable and qualified persons to fill the position of Director General:
The Director General will report to NMK Board of Directors and will perform the following specific functions:
- Carrying out the day to day business of the organization
- Advising the Board on all policies and strategies relating to the management of the organization
- Developing and recommending to the Board the long term strategy, business plans and annual operating budgets; and establishing proper internal monitoring and control systems and procedures
- Ensuring prudent financial management within organization
- Coordinating and preparing business related proposals, reports and other submissions for consideration by the Board
- Fostering strategic partnerships for the success of the organization
- Ensuring delivery of quality services to meet the expectations of all stakeholders
- Ensuring that there is effective communication between the management and the Board as well as between different levels of management
- Providing leadership to the employees
- Attending to human resource management matters including organizational structures, appointments, welfare, training, industrial relations, separation and effective management of succession plans
- Ensuring continuous achievement of the organization’s financial and operating goals and objectives.
- Overseeing and ensuring implementation of corporate policies and programmes
- Maintaining a conducive work environment for attracting, retaining and motivating employees
- Fostering a corporate culture that promotes ethical practices and good corporate citizenship
- Acting as the principal spokesman of the organization
- Ensuring compliance with the laws of Kenya
- Any other responsibilities as may be necessary to achieve the organization’s objectives.
The applicant must:
- Have a minimum of fifteen (15) years relevant working experience inclusive of managerial experience; five (5) of which must have been a Research Scientist or an equivalent position in a reputable research organization
- An earned Doctorate degree or equivalent qualification from a University recognised in Kenya, in a field of research relevant to NMK’s mandate
- Have published at least seven (7) scientific articles in peer review scientific journals as a first author
- Have demonstrated success in generating research funds for the specified area of study of not less than $ 200,000
- Have organized of at least seven (7) seminars and workshops
- Have shown exemplary administrative and leadership capabilities.
Terms of service: Three (3) years contract renewable once based on performance.
Qualified and interested applicants may apply enclosing a detailed resume, certified copy of their current pay slip, certified copies of academic and professional certificates plus testimonials, names and addresses of 3 referees (including their telephone contacts and emails). The applications should be addressed to:
Board of Directors,
National Museums of Kenya,
P.O. Box 40658-00100,
The applications should be received not later than 11th March, 2022. Applicants are required to submit their applications alongside clearances from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, Kenya Revenue Authority, Directorate of Criminal Investigation, Credit Reference Bureau and Higher Education Loans Board.
“NMK is an equal opportunities employer”.
NB: Applicants should note that any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Hon. David Musila, MGH
Board of Directors,
National Museums of Kenya.