REMARKS BY AMB. (DR.) AMINA C. MOHAMED, EGH, CAV, CABINET SECRETARY FOR SPORTS, CULTURE AND HERITAGE DURING KENYA RAILWAY GOLF CLUB’S CENTENARY AND TENTH DECADE HONORS, HELD ON 1ST DECEMBER 2021, AT THE KENYA RAILWAY GOLF CLUB
Maj. Gen (Rtd)Pastor Omutho Awitta MGH, EBS, ndc(K), Chairman, Kenya Railway Corporation
Mr. Peter Kiguru, Chairman, Kenya Golf Union
Mr. Stanley Karanja, Chairman, Kenya Railway Golf Club
Mr. Nathan Njuguna, Captain, Kenya Railway Golf Club Union
Members of the Press Present
Ladies and Gentlemen.
- I am honored to join you today, to present the Kenya Railways Golf Club Tenth Decade Honors. These honors, are a commemoration of the club’s heritage and contribution, to the history of golf in Kenya, over the last 100 years.
- The game of golf is a central feature in Kenya’s history. Its roots date back to the early 1920’s, at the founding of the Kenya Railway Golf Club. The Kenya Golf Union, is also the oldest running sports union in Kenya, and the Kenya Open Golf tournament, is one of the longest running sports events in the country.
- This year, Kenya had the privilege of hosting the Magical Kenya Open and Kenya Savannah Classic. This was the first time that two European tour tournaments, were held in one country, and conducted around the same time. The successful hosting of these world-class events, has contributed to the advancement of golf in Kenya, and enhanced our country’s image as a golfing destination.
- Today is therefore, a great opportunity to celebrate, and to reflect on the achievements that have contributed to the advancement of golf in Kenya.
- Pioneering institutions like the Kenya Railway Golf Club, have played an important role in enhancing the quality of golf in the country. They have also increased access to the game, by provided quality arenas for hundreds of players to learn and master the game.
- It is said, that success in golf depends less on the strength of the body, and more on the strength of mind and character. These words, speak to the resilience of the club’s membership, which has steered the club’s legacy over the years. It is also a testament, of the collective strength of the minds and character of the many dedicated individuals and private sector partners, whose efforts have facilitated the success in golf in Kenya.
- I am equally impressed, by the collective knowledge held by the various club constituents, whose personal recollections and experiences continue to impact on the club’s traditions and culture. This institutional memory is a valuable possession, demanding timely, accurate and accessible systems, for the preservation and dissemination of the history and heritage of golf in Kenya.
- I therefore, urge the leadership of the Kenya Railway Golf Club, and other golf and sports organizations, to be intentional about archiving and preserving our sports history. This is possible, through establishing effective knowledge management systems within our clubs, as well as efficient exploitation of the available digital tools and resources. My Ministry through the Kenya National Library Services, the National Archives and National Museums of Kenya ready and available to provide all technical support required to establish and run a sports library, archives or sports museum for any sports organization that has such intentions.
- In closing, I would like to congratulate the Chairman of the Kenya Railway Golf Club, the management committee and the club members who have received the Tenth Decade Honors. They are true allies in the important work that we do in developing, promoting and preserving sports in Kenya.
- My Ministry remains dedicated to partnering with the Club, the Union and other stakeholders in the development of the club, and the game of golf in Kenya. I look therefore forward to more growth in the decades ahead.