|Vacancy Announcement Number||2021/I|
|Post title:||Rector of the Institute|
|Duty Station:||Arusha, Tanzania|
|Date of publication||7 December 2021|
|Deadline for applications||30 January 2022|
The African Institute of International Law (AIIL) is an independent educational and research institution based in Arusha, Tanzania, with the aim of promoting the study and practice in Africa of international law and the law of the African Union (www.aiil-iadi.org). It operates in accordance with its Statutes. The Rector is appointed by the Curatorium and acts under its authority.
The Rector is the Chief Executive Officer and academic Head of the Institute, in charge of its academic, administrative and financial management/development. The Rector is an ex‑officio member (and secretary) of the Curatorium, the scientific supervisory body of the Institute. The Rector is also an ex-officio member of the Administrative Committee, which supervises the management and administration of the Institute.
The Rector is expected, upon appointment, to act independently and in the best interest of the Institute, its staff, trainees and students. The Rector is also expected to reside at the seat of the Institute.
- Provides strategic direction for the growth and development of the Institute, in accordance with its strategic plan, and provides oversight for the running of the Institute’s programs and processes by the Management team.
- Prepares the draft budget of the Institute for approval by the Curatorium and implements it in accordance with the best financial procedures.
- Engages with external stakeholders in pursuit of the development of the Institute, including the pursuit of effective partnerships, raises funds, and fosters collaborative relationships between the Institute and other institutions and individuals with similar interests and goals.
- Represents the Institute at public events, conferences, official ceremonies, diplomatic gatherings, international meetings and conventions, and other gatherings where the Institute is invited to participate; and maintains an effective liaison and close relations with the authorities of the host government.
- Plans the meetings of the Curatorium, oversees the execution of such meetings and provides the reports of the meetings to members of the Curatorium.
Duration of the Appointment
The Rector will be appointed for a period of 5 years, renewable for another term of 5 years.
- Must be a person with a strong professional background and experience working at the highest levels of government, academia, the private sector or international service.
- Must have a doctorate or at least a Masters’ degree in law, preferably in international law.
- Must have at least 10 years professional experience, preferably with at least 4 years in a leadership role.
- Must have a strong, impeccable reputation and must be of the highest moral character.
- Must have fundraising experience or aptitude in developing sustainable funding mechanisms for running an organization
AIIL is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization. The Curatorium particularly encourages applications from qualified female candidates.
The remuneration, which will be set according to the experience of the successful candidate, is comparable to the D1 grade of the African Union (AU).
Application and selection procedure
Applications should be submitted electronically to: email@example.com no later than 30 January 2022. The application file submitted as a single PDF document must consist of:
- A letter of motivation addressed to the President of the Curatorium of the African Institute of International Law;
- A curriculum vitae clearly outlining any experience relevant to the position;
- Names and contact details of three referees who can attest to the applicant’s qualifications and experience.
Only applications from shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged. Candidates on the shortlist will be interviewed by the Search Committee.